Nothing beats the charm of a dazzling smile!
One way you can boost your smile's dazzle is by looking after your teeth. When you smile, your teeth should be bright with no chips or cracks.
Our teeth play an important role in how beautiful our smile is and generally, in our overall appearance. Good teeth can help you look younger and more attractive.
Unfortunately, not all of us are lucky enough to be born with a set of pearly white teeth. Also, as we age, the teeth get discoloured. This is a natural part of the aging process but there is no need for despair.
Below are simple ways you can enhance the appearance of your teeth for a prettier smile:
- Brush: You must brush your teeth twice a day - before breakfast and before you sleep. Daily brushing is important to remove plaques. When plaques are not removed, they continue to build up and, along with food particles that are left, can cause teeth decay and gum diseases.
Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes making sure you clean the insides of your teeth, your gum and tongue as well.
You can boost you gum health by massaging gently with your brush while brushing. This help increase blood flow to the gum, those making them healthier.
You can consult your dentist for the type of brush that best suit your but remember to change them every 3 months.
Avoid the use of brushes with very hard bristles, they can damage your gum and the protective enamel covering your teeth.
- Floss: This is the only way to eliminate bacteria between your teeth which causes teeth decay and gum diseases. Use dental floss at least once a day to remove food particles stuck in-between your teeth. Avoid using toothpicks which can damage your gum.
- Eat right: Simply chewing on crunchy raw fruits such as apples, carrots, cucumber and cabbage can help clean the teeth and gums. These foods act as natural stain removers and are also high in Vitamin C which prevents gum diseases.
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks: Sugary drinks, citrus (lemon, lime etc) fruits and juices contain harmful acids that attack the enamel on teeth and trigger the decay process. Also, constant drinking of dark beverages like coffee, tea, and red wine can stain or colour your teeth. If you do indulge yourself, rinse your mouth with water or use a mouthwash right after. To minimize the chances of staining or colouring your teeth with these beverages, use a straw to prevent direct exposure to your teeth.
- Quit smoking: It stains your teeth and also causes bad breath too.
- Chew gum: Sugar-free gums can help keep your teeth clean and healthy. Chewing gum helps you remove food particles stuck to the teeth and also increases saliva flow in the mouth that help neutralize the harmful acids that cause tooth decay. However, avoid constant chewing which can cause articular problems and dental cavities.
- Use mouthwashes: Get and use fluoride mouthwashes especially at night to help strengthen teeth enamel. Before using a mouthwash, read the instructions on the product and use as directed.
- Consult a dentist: Go for regular dental check-ups, at least once a year and every-time you have problem with your teeth. Regular dental checkups are not only for dental health but for general well-being as well as serious health conditions that can be detected through routine oral examination.
You are what your smiles make you, get the most of life - get a beautiful smile, get a beautiful life!